Interview: Chicago's De-fense

 


Where did the name ‘De-Fense’ come from?

           The name Defense came from being protective over my loved ones. I'm Huge on Family!

How would you describe your sound?

          I would describe my sound as authentic, original, and intentional.

Your new joint “Tsunami” is out, the music video is fire…tell readers about the concept of the song and how it came about?

         Tsunami is an overwhelming force. That's me. You can see it coming and the lasting                   effects of it. As always, I make valid attempts to give listeners a piece of me. 

Easy to come up with.

In today's Hip-Hop climate where every rapper is expected to be tough, how do you feel about putting out a song like "Tsunami"? 

          I'm comfortable in my own skin and confident in my craft. Being different is my strong                 suit. I gatta stick out like a sour thumb.

To switch gears a bit, how do you think you’ve grown since your last release?

          I've grown tremendously. Allowing myself to create, entertain, and enjoy without always              putting on the "MC vest" and try to smoke a beat. 

How have you surprised yourself as an artist pushing yourself to create your style? 

          Many ways. Allowing myself the liberty of expression, and touching different subject                   matters.

What are you looking forward to working on in the short-term or goals for the long term?

          Short term, look forward to making impactful music, and being the new face of Chicago's           music scene. Long term, leaving a legacy in music, and eventually branching off into                   other avenues to help create lanes for others.

Do you have any old movie recommendations for the younger generation out there that need some fast lessons of wise words? 

          Movies... Malcom X, Hidden Colors 1,2, and 3, and Boyz N the Hood on some hood sh**.

What can we expect from De-fense for the rest of 2023?

            The rest of the year will continuation. Grinding!! Listening to beats, make sure it's right,                and go crazy. 

      WATCH "TSUNAMI" HERE:

0 Comments